OK, this post is going to be completely random, as the title implies. I just love taking random pictures with my digital camera. Since I have started this blog, I have taken to keeping my little camera in my purse at all times and bust it out quite frequently when I see something that I think it interesting or makes me laugh. I have collected quite the collection of random pictures so I decided to throw some of my recent favorites on here.
I feel I should give some background to introduce this first picture for anyone out there who may be unfamiliar with the area in which we live. See, in our neck of the woods, fall means harvest time. Yes, this area is known for grapes, walnuts, and other mainstream crops, but it is also widely known for the other cash crop: Mary Jane, Ganja , wacky weed, demon weed, the dank, whatever you want to call it. Whether you love it or hate it, marijuana harvest time is upon us and the growers are delighted.
We have been watching this garden grow and prosper over the past couple of years. This grow is in plain site in the back of a trailer park. We pass by it every day and have seen it grow taller than this 6 foot fence. I imagine the owners are quite pleased with themselves, telling themselves this year, maybe this year, they will make enough cash to move out of the trailer park and into the house of their dreams. I took this picture from inside the car, slowing down just enough to capture it without being obvious. I am glad I took the picture when I did; there was rain last week and the growers hacked down their crop before the storms came through and ruined all of their hopes and dreams. Like they say, "Farming is tough!" The upside to the popular hobby of growing is that Jason's job has become a little more secure as a result of it. He works in a home improvement store which caters to the grower's needs such as soil, fertilizers, and trimming shears. These days, with the economy the way it ism the growers are their best customers.
Ok, I can't complete a post without mentioning something wonderful that D has said or done.
D is really into the movie Finding Nemo and especially likes Dorie, the little forgetful but sweet blue fish. Anyway, the other night D was supposed to be brushing his teeth before bed. I could see he was preoccupied, playing with something in the bathroom and being awfully quiet. I walked in to see what he was up to and this is what I discovered
D had put his Dorie to bed in a soap dish and covered her with wet cotton balls and Q tips. He really is a sweet little boy and has a nurturing side to him it seems.
This is the other thing he did:
Fall also marks the end of yard sale season. Jason introduced me to this hobby and we go on yardsale hunts almost every available weekend in the summer. jason is ultra competitive and skilled in the craft. He seriously uses the GPS in the car and brings along his laptop or will call his mother on his cell to check a high ticket item on ebay or to gather further information before he makes some of his purchases. I really can not poke too much fun at him because in all actuality, he has literally made or saved us thousands of dollars in his efforts. He is truly a professional and master of the art. While Jason mainly scours for tools, electronics, and fishing stuff, I look for random items and those diamonds in the rough types of treasures. Here are some of my favorite finds from recent years:
I found this Airedale doorstop a couple summers ago at a tweeker house in Nice. It was on a table amongst a pile of rusty tools and crap. I think I bought it for $1 or less and I love it. It is stamped with "1929". Not sure if this is the date or not. Maybe I should look it up on ebay and find out. Anyway, it is sturdy, substantial, and I use it to prop my bedroom door open. Our house is not really level so this comes in really handy. When I find old treasures like this, I always wonder who originally owned it and how it came to be in the tweeker yard sale. Were they a dog lover like me? Did they get it as a gift or pick it out themselves? Was their house slanted too?
The other story involves my Grandma Moran. She had announced she had quit smoking to the whole family and we were all so happy for her. When she came to visit us, my parents found obvious clues that she had in fact been smoking in the bathroom at our house, thinking she was quite sly, like her good catholic school educated daughter!

This is the other prize from this summer- A light up frog.......for .25 cents! I just felt I needed it. Jason looked at me sideways, but I know I will find a purpose for it someday. Maybe D would want it in his room when he gets older, maybe I will just plug it in outside during our next BBQ, I don't know what I will do with it but I felt compelled to buy it. I would hate to see it ending up in a landfill.
Ok, on to my final random picture:
Yes indeed, folks Rip Van Winkle is alive and well in Ukiah! I spotted this character in the Carl's Jr. parking lot. He was just sitting there propped against a tree, reading his paper, and smoking a pipe. I just thought, "This is just classic" and reached for the camera in my purse.
1 comment:
That mobile home plate kicks A**! Now all you need are some of those fish and bubbles (or mermaids) that hang on the wall in the bathroom! I long for those as well. Your blog is great and I have been passing it around! Keep it up it is fun isn't it!?
Post a Comment